About

Hi! My name is Meg and I'm an Australian blogger who is absolutely addicted to reading! I wanted to create a place where I could share my thoughts on books with others and hopefully encourage you to check out some of the books yourself! I'm always open to discuss books and take requests to review books so please feel free to leave comments or shoot me an email at: megstewart23@gmail.com

Follow us on facebook

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

About Me

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Latest News

Friday, January 23, 2015

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Okay, so I first checked this book out in the ninth grade due to high recommendation from friends and wow was I blown away.

This was one of the first YA novels I ever read once I evolved from Geronimo Stilton and Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

Meet Rose Hathaway, a complete bad ass, total hottie and guardian in training. Her job is to protect her BFF Lissa Dragomir, a royal who is the last in her line due to a terrible car accident that killed her family. Lissa is a vampire and needs protection like all others of her kind from a evil race of vampires called Strigoi that kill everyone and just in general shitty people and dangerous as hell. The novel begins with them both on the run before being taken back to Vampire Academy to continue their training and academics.

One of the main favorites for me throughout the novel is the relationship between Rose and Dimitri. Like, I just love the kind of 'forbidden romance and complete sexual tension throughout the entire novel' relationship. But, okay one thing that total threw me off was that Dimitri was Russian. I have no idea why, but throughout the entire novel I just pictured him looking like Seneca Crane from the Hunger Games (which made it a lot harder to fangirl over his supposed hotness). And as for the Russian thing, I seriously have no idea but I just wanted to giggle everytime I imagined him saying anything in a Russian accent. I DON'T KNOW WHY. A lot of people have a thing for that but I apparently don't.

My favorite novels are the ones that feature fantasy or some sort of action and romance on the side. I cannot stand novels that just have all the focus on romance. Like, I don't want to read a novel that's just like every chapter "Does Todd like me? Omg he kissed me!! Omg he isn't texting me back! Omg he winked at me!! Omg he has eyebrows!!!!" I find it completely boring and painful and I love that Vampire Academy is nothing like that.

The story is very entertaining and if you get into it, you won't be able to put the book down. That's a guarantee. It has a lot going on in regards to fantasy, drama and relationships which is why I love it so much. Not a single dull moment.

It's also written very well and Mead has put it in a way with a nice flow that can easily captivate readers and capture their attention.

Lissa's character did annoy me a few times and continued to do so throughout the entire series because man, she's just such a weakling. Like, can this girl stand up for herself or nah? She seems to be hiding behind Rose a lot of the time and even though it's Rose's job to protect her she seems to have no complaints or worries that her seventeen year old best friend could potientally die all the time just to save her. Like??? Is she just cool with it or??? Like 'go die for me whenever Rose, it's cool.'

Aside from that, this series really has it all. Action, romance, drama, comedy and fantasy. It's defientely worth checking out. I have read the entire series and am onto the spin off series of Bloodlines. If there are any VA fans that want me to review the rest of the series, just leave a comment below and I'll get straight onto Frostfire. I'll even read it again becuase I loved that novel so much!

Anyway, I give this novel 9 OUT OF 10 STARS and seriously RECOMMEND IT TO EVERYONE. Please, pretty pretty please one hundred times don't compare it to the movie. The movie was literally such a disgrace and done so poorly. I COULD HAVE WRITTEN A BETTER SCRIPT. I SWEAR ON MY LIFE I COULD HAVE. "Sweet sassy molassy"? WERE THEY FOR REAL? People always say that books are better than their movies and man this movie brings that statement to a whole new level. Please never watch the movie, it will ruin the book for you. I still feel resentment every time I think of the books due to the movie.

Okay, I better end this before I go on a three thousand word rant on how bad the film was.

Till next time,
Meg xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

author
Jake Simms
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt utlaoreet dolore.